Tuesday, March 09, 2004

Lost in Translation is totally boring. It isn’t at all entertaining, and for me, its only saving factor is that it was set in Japan. I watched it only because I had spare time to waste. I understand why it would get nominated as a best picture in the Oscars, but it was boring boring boring. Like The Hours, which almost made me sleep. I guess I watched both those films at the wrong time. I think I’d rather read those kinds of stories rather than watch them. I gather that I’d appreciate them more if I got to know them in that genre instead of film.

In total contrast, Gothica (or was that Gothika?) made my heart jump in fright every other five minutes. I advice anyone with a weak heart to pass this movie up or if you truly want to watch it, better don’t do it alone. Sound effects are perfectly placed, and the unrealistic ordinariness of some of the settings is eeriness in itself. The plot’s rather run of the mill horror-suspense-mystery though. I kinda know the who, how, & why of the story midway into watching. Sucks sometimes that I took that play-writing class coz I can’t appreciate movies as much as I’d like too. I’m becoming too critical whenever I watch one.

Besides watching those two movies, I also just finished reading the translation of another shoujo manga, Tsumi ni Nureta Futari by Miyuki Kitagawa. Hope the manga didn’t really end in volume 14 coz sobrang bitin ang story! Like the summary where I got the translations from said, it is a rather dark story. It’s about incest; brother and sister falling in love, they didn’t know they were siblings when they met yadda blah blah blah… nothing new about that plot but the way it’s presented is interesting enough that I read everything available and am now rooting there’s more. Oh yeah, the lemon scenes are also tastefully done and aren’t really the focus of the whole plot so they were just fine being there. The art’s kinda Kaikan Phrase-y and the colored pix look so wistful and sweet even though most were pix of Kasumi and Yoshiki (the main characters) more or less making out.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home