Monday, November 03, 2003

Had a movie marathon yesterday. Rented out five films and watched them at home. So you can imagine why my eyes are hurting right now.

First was The Hours. Rented it coz I was curious. Critically acclaimed, won so many Oscars, and all that, but I have to admit that it was kinda hard to understand. Three women whose lives seem separate and different at first were essentially suffering through the same problem: they were all suffering depression because their entire lives had been centered on another person and not themselves. They seemed happy on the outside, but all three of them were ticking time bombs so to speak, a little provocation, a little more agony and they would choose the unthinkable just to escape the life that they were then living. I still liked the movie. Makes me think about how important life is. We’ve been told in our Philo classes to center our lives on making our source of happiness other people’s happiness, or something like that; but I got to thinking that not everyone can be as noble as this all the time. People have to live, not just for others, but also for themselves. We have to appreciate the life that we have, live it the way we wish to live it, struggle each and everyday to gain happiness, and accept life for what it is.

The second movie was Chicago. A musical, which endears it to me just by being that. Roxie is a bitch. She’s guilty as charged but was lucky enough to have a genius bastard to represent her (Richard Gere looks absolutely weird when he sings and dances). Her poor pathetic husband; he really did love her, except she was too blind with visions of fame to see and appreciate it.

Third movie was DareDevil. Elektra (sp?) died!!! (sorry for the spoilers kung meron man hindi pa nakakanood nito by this time). The movie was okay. I’m not a fan of the comics so I don’t have gripes about the accuracy of the details in the plot and setting and outfits. Medyo parang lampa nga lang si DareDevil sa movie. Dunno exactly why I had that impression. Liked the rain thing going on though, I mean the effects they used. Yun lang. Mom loved the film. But then she likes to watch action films and is a fan of Arnold S. She won’t admit to that little tidbit of course.

Fourth movie was my My Big Fat Greek Wedding. Figured I’d play this second to the last since by this time my mom and I would be in dire need of something to laugh at considering the first three movies aren’t exactly comedies. Tula’s(sp?) humongous family was hilarious! In a way, I wish to have a family life hers, it seems fun. At times I wonder what would life have been like if we had a bigger and closer family. Anyway, loved how Ian’s parents and Tula’s family interacted. Funny, funny, funny.

Last was Children of Dune. Mom was asleep by this time. 4 bleeding cds, natapos akong manood almost midnight na. Paul Muaddib was still played by Alec Newman, and he still makes me think of Rand al’Thor. I still think he’d be perfect for the role of Rand if the Wheel of Time is ever written for screenplay and made as a movie or tv series. Stilgard, Duncan Idaho, and Jessica got changed though. Read the books before so I knew what was going to happen to the film. Leto II looked younger than his twin. Desert creature my butt, Leto’s gonna turn into a tyrant worm. Literally a worm. He’s immortal alright, but he’s a fricking spice worm. I don’t want to spend forever in his shoes.

haaaaaaaaay... 2nd sem starts tomorrow. Vacation’s over. Bummer.

dragon
You are a dragon, you have one serious temper when
provoked. Dominant and generally prefers being
the one in charge. Beautiful to look at,
dangerous to touch;)


What mystical creature are you?
brought to you by Quizilla

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home