Sunday, August 07, 2005

Watched Charlie and the Chocolate Factory earlier today with Peter, Paul, Camille, Kuya Tan, Ate Rhea, JR, and err, forgot JR's yaya's name ^^0 Watching with them was weird to say the least. Guess I'm just not used to going to the movies with my cousins, wait... it's more like I'm just not used to going to the movies with anyone.

The movie was nice; it's for kids. Hated all the song numbers by the OompaWoompahs (sp?) but gritted my teeth and got through them. Charlie had his moments, but those were it, moments. Willy Wonka dominated the screen time, which I'm not complaining about since he IS Johnny Depp after all; but around 3/4s of the time spent touring the factory, Charlie was quite forgotten and too much in the background of things.

Depp was just so funny, in a sarcastic eccentric way. His facial expressions were genuinely funny though subdued, very in character, and not as exaggerated as Jim Carey with his portrayals. Especially loved his comments about being able to eat everything in that garden-like room with the chocolate waterfalls, that Augustus (the obese kid who got the 1st ticket) could eat even him (Willy Wonka) but that's called cannibalism and quite frowned upon by most societies, which is true ^-^ Although I said the movie's for kids, there's this aura of sinister-ness about it. You could almost mistake Wonka for having homicidal tendencies, I mean, there weere just too many accidents he could have prevented but just watched happen... anyway, he wouldn't be Willy Wonka if he didn't do as he did, I guess.

The visuals were cool; this is the kind of film where you wished that movies and television let you smell and have a taste of what's in the screen, I mean, hello? A chocolate waterfall? That must smell really really, well... chocolatey ^^0 But the odd thing is, I'm not craving for the taste of chocolate, not after watching this anyway.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home