Friday, April 20, 2007

Feeling Nostalgic...

I was in 5th grade in elementary when IBC Channel 13 aired Candy Candy every Sunday at 6:00pm. It was probably the very first anime series I really became a fan of. I loved watching that series; so much so that I even remember taping it, memorizing the opening and ending songs (which lyrics and melodies I somehow still remember until now...), and talking to my classmates about it nonstop on Monday mornings when we meet in school. Too bad they stopped showing it about a few episodes after one of the major characters died. *sigh* I remember virtually crying my heart out when that happened... and I was so pissed off with IBC for stopping the series airing, but I really couldn't do anything.

So now, around 15 years later (I'm 26 already ok?! There you need not calculate my current age hehehe ^_^0) I finally got a hold of the complete (scanlated) manga (I know, piracy and all that, but I really tried looking for the orig manga and videos at our local shops but couldn't find any trace of it). I read the nine volumes overnight. I just couldn't stop! Not because the story was so good -- to be truthful, if I didn't feel so nostalgic about it I'd diss the plot for being so soap-opera-ish! -- but then I always wanted to know what happened to Candy afterwards.



*long heartfelt sigh*

The picture is the last page in the manga. It's a flashback of six year old Candy with her "Prince on the Hill".

*another long sigh* Sometimes I hate that I've gotten creative writing classes back at AdMU coz I always end up knowing how the plot would go around the first quarter of any story/movie/book... wish I didn't guess who the "Prince" really was when the character got introduced. The foreshadowing in this story's so darn obvious that I wish I'd finished reading/watching it when I didn't know ziltch about writing.

But anyways, I still I want to read the third novel! Wahahaha!! Because it's supposed to be a continuation of the events in both the anime and manga. Too bad they never made it into manga or anime and that it's not available in English. And that it's out of print! Ah well... Heard there's some legal issues regarding this title, but I don't really care anymore. I finally got to finish this story!!! Wai!!! I'll be happy with just that.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home