Monday, May 17, 2004

Watched Van Helsing with my mom. She liked it; I didn’t.

Well, apart from it being nice to see so many familiar characters like Dracula and his brides, Frankenstein, and etc, it was just like those James Bond films only with a gothic twist.

The plot’s way too predictable. The usual elements of an action-adventure flick’s in it: a dashing hero and his sidekick, a pretty damsel in distress (granted she can fight but still, in essence she’s still a damsel in distress), a seemingly invincible enemy who has a whole plethora of oddball minions, and the ever used-up quest of the hero to “find himself”, in this case the hero’s memory of his past. Gah…

The CGI was reminiscent of Underworld. Dark. Gothic. About Underworld, I found it kinda funny that what’s-her-name, the main female character of Underworld, where she’s a vampire, was now a vampire hunter in Van Helsing. Talk about role reversal. Plus Van Helsing had a brief spell as a werewolf, and wasn’t what’s-her-name’s partner in Underworld a werewolf too? Wonder who the two movie’s writers are and if they know each other or if they compared notes?

Hugh Jackman’s costume reminded me of Vampire Hunter D’s clothes. Sorta western gunslinger type. At least he wasn’t wearing black leather… or at least I don’t think he was wearing black leather sides his boots.

Dracula and his brides weren’t even that scary. The brides looked like typical renaissance harlots with their makeup and clothes; while the supposedly great Dracula himself is a sorry excuse for the legend that his name bears…

The actor who played Faramir in LotR is a bumbling horny friar in this movie who I guess is supposed to be the comic relief but drastically failed being that. Dracula’s facial expressions were actually funnier.

I’m not really sorry for the spoilers. It’s my blog and I write what I want to.

*** *** ***

Had two dreams that involved our local church; both of them oddly having something to do with heights and escaping from someone.

The first dream I had from a few days ago showcased me slowly falling, like Nicholas Cage’s character in City of Angels, from atop the dome of the church. My background music was the Alleluia song the choir sang during Easter Sunday. The song ended the split second before my body came in contact with the floor. I woke up then, knowing I died in the dream, and somehow knowing that I escaped a worse death had I lived longer.

The second dream, this one I had just last night, had me climbing up the walls and hiding near the ceiling of the church. The people who entered the church just as I reached the ceiling were monsters. They didn’t look like it but I knew they were. I was so afraid to move, but I knew I had to because if just one of them glanced up they would certainly see me and I’d be captured. I stealthily progressed towards the dome where I knew there was an emergency exit, but one of them heard me opening the dome’s hidden door. The person, I don’t know if it was male or female, just jumped and flew high up till he or she stood between me and the door. This was when I woke up.

Why am I writing about this? Well, I had thought recently that I view our church as a place of peace, that it is some place where I could feel at ease. Seems my subconscious is telling me I feel otherwise.


0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home