Friday, August 25, 2006

When Do Families End?

Is it when the parents die? Or do people stop being part of what one would consider his family when one starts a family or their own?

My mom's 2nd eldest brother, my uncle Tito Mario, does not act like family anymore. I won't go in the particulars coz they're too long to narrate, but what my mom keeps telling me these days is that she'd like me to find a family of my own. To start one of my own, especially since I'm an only child and I won't have any siblings to turn to for in times of future troubles. Because of Tito Mario, she cautions me that I should not depend on anyone, not even those I grew up with because once they have started families of their own things would no longer be the same.

Money always seem to be one of the reasons families break down. Take for example Ate My's family right now. Her 90 y/o father's sick and was hospitalized. He doesn't eat anymore and his right side is paralyzed so he's bedridden too. Her... how do I say this... complete fucking bastard of a brother would rather spend his paycheck buying and giving luxury items to his "papa" than help his own father by contributing to the payment of the hospital bills. What's worse is that Ate My's brother is in debt with several and I mean not just one or two but a LOT of people so Ate My and her mother, Lola Ising (who's 72!), are usually forced to work just to pay his debts. Meanwhile, Ate My's older sister, Ate Gloria's whole family - 3 kids all of school age and her husband - are living with Lola Ising and Lolo Mundo... what remaining money Lola Ising isn't paying to the debtors she gives to Ate Gloria and her kids. But now that Lolo Mundo was hospitalized, Ate Gloria refuses to help financially as well as even just going to the hospital to act as bantay for her own dad, saying that she's too busy. And to think she doesn't even have a job!

I don't understand them at all. Not Tito Mario. And especially not Kuya Felirey nor Ate Gloria. I didn't grow up having any siblings, my little sister died when I was just 3 y/o and she was but 6 months old so I never got the chance to know her, but from the way I see my mom and dad support their siblings I wouldn't even dream of not helping out my sister had she lived and had been in any kind of trouble... and as an extension since they are like siblings to me, my cousins - the twins and Camille; even Kuya Tan who I couldn't believe is acting the way he is now. Anyways, I just don't understand how they could act that way... so uncaring towards the family that took care and grew up with them for so long. I just don't get it. Isn't family family whatever happens? Whatever happened to blood is thicker than water?


o=O=o=O=o

About school:

Our panelists during the thesis defense yesterday were Mam Au, Dean Sicat, Mam Vital and Mam Annelle. We passed. Heck, I can even dare to say we impressed them. They told us that we were "very good" and that we need not do anymore major revisions or anything of the sort for our thesis... what we need only do is get the manual and follow the format specified in there.

I'm so relieved that it's done. It's funny how my fear simply evaporated 3 to 5 minutes into the defense. At first I was fumbling for what to say, but as the hour went by Nhey, Hazel, Sig and I just spoke up whatever was on our minds and answered all the panelists questions.

We'd be having our duty next at Florida.

Midterms is on te first week of September, but I'm not too worried. So far my grades are okay, although they're not as high as I want them to be.

I have to start working for the Nightingale now that the thesis is done.


o=O=o=O=o

Guids: Ba't ka tumawag? What's with today? Why'd you ask?

Seika: Just call/text me if you wanna talk, ne? I miss you too!!

Ana: No idea what that FTP? thing is hehehe, but you know that na naman lolz.

1 Comments:

At Fri Aug 25, 08:46:00 AM 2006, Blogger ana said...

I just keep trying to keep a positive attitude with the pc slowing things down for me (and clifford, who shares the pc with me), but damn it, my productivity's not doing good. I've already emailed Omar about it, but so far, NADA.

And yes, I wore pink ^__^;; I'll ask Jen for some pics, don't worry.

As for families... well, I grew up with siblings, never mind that I'm the youngest and there's a 9-year gap between me and my brother, but yeah, family is family however way you cut it. Blood is thicker than water and all that, but then again, blood doesn't really guarantee familial feelings or support.

Really, people should remember that the only ones that they could turn to in times of trouble is their family, whether by blood or by friendship. It's disheartening when people can just choose to be cold-blooded and not be there for the family.

I say, to hell with them. Even better if we could just leave them be, ne, and not bother them when they need our help, but damn it all to hell and back through the eternal fires, why can't we?

Guess we are just a decent sort of people, aye?

 

Post a Comment

<< Home